Molefe fiasco not yet over | Fin24
 
In partnership with
  • Covid-19 Money Hub

    The hub will help answer your business and money questions during the coronavirus crisis.

  • Dudu Myeni

    The former SAA chair has been declared a delinquent director for her role at the national airline.

  • Cigarette Ban

    Govt says emerging research shows smoking leads to more severe cases of Covid-19.

Loading...

Molefe fiasco not yet over

May 31 2017 18:06
Lameez Omarjee, Matthew le Cordeur

Updated: The article includes comment from Eskom board indicating that it has received instruction from Public Enterprise Minister Lynne Brown. 

Johannesburg – The Eskom board has been ordered to rescind the decision to reinstate Brian Molefe as chief executive, but the Democratic Alliance (DA) has called for a Parliamentary probe into the power utility.

Public Enterprise Minister Lynne Brown made the announcement at a press briefing in Cape Town on Wednesday, following a decision reached by the inter-ministerial committee tasked with investigating Molefe’s reinstatement.

The inter-ministerial committee appointed by President Jacob Zuma consisted of Brown, Justice Minister Michael Masutha, Finance Minister Malusi Gigaba and Energy Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi.

The Eskom board issued a statement on Wednesday night indicating that it has received instruction from Brown. The board will meet to finalise the way forward on the issues raised by the minister.  

READ: Brown instructs Eskom board to rescind Molefe reappointment

No sooner had Brown made the announcement, the DA indicated it wrote to the chair of the Parliamentary Public Enterprises Portfolio Committee Zukiswa Rantho, demanding an “urgent full scale” Parliamentary inquiry into Eskom.

“Only a full-scale Parliamentary inquiry has the capacity to get to the bottom of the rot at Eskom,” said Natasha Mazzone, DA MP.

Mazzone took aim at the Special Investigative Unit (SIU) launched by Brown and questioned its transparency.

The SIU will focus on issues raised about procurement at the power utility. It will consider seven reports dating as far back as 2007, implicating Eskom in wrongdoing and impropriety, Fin24 reported.

ALSO READ: Brown to launch own full-scale probe into Eskom

The portfolio committee also confirmed that a forensic company would investigate the destruction of key documents linked to Molefe’s employment contracts.  

“We welcome this investigation, but it shows that Eskom insiders are intent on the Brian Molefe fiasco not being properly investigated,” said Mazzone.

Meanwhile, ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa told News24 that the ANC welcomed the decision by the inter-ministerial committee to rescind Molefe’s reinstatement.

This past weekend sources told News24 that the ANC National Executive Council (NEC) agreed that Molefe should be removed from his role as chief executive at the power utility, but that his skills should not be lost.

The party had previously condemned the reappointment of Molefe, labelling it reckless, Bloomberg reported.

 

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:

da  |  anc  |  eskom  |  brian molefe  |  lynne brown
NEXT ON FIN24X

 
 
 
 

Company Snapshot

Voting Booth

How has Covid-19 impacted your financial position?

Previous results · Suggest a vote

Loading...