• Inside Labour

    Without radical policy change SA's social fabric will continue to fray, says Terry Bell.

  • Long live your gadget

    Real gadget protection tends to cost real money, writes Arthur Goldstuck.

  • Taking SA for a ride

    The ANC seems to think all South Africans are idiots, says Mzwandile Jacks.

Data provided by iNet BFA
Loading...
See More

France acts on firm in horsemeat scandal

Feb 22 2013 18:45 AFP
horsemeat

Horsemeat. (AFP)

Related Articles

Horsemeat scandal spreads to Asia

Horsemeat scare hits UK consumers hard

Nestlé finds horsemeat in beef pasta

Horse-wary Britons spurn all meat

Horsemeat scandal spreads to Austria

Big food firms embroiled in horsemeat saga

 

Paris - French firm Spanghero, at the heart of the horsemeat scandal rocking Europe, said Friday it was stopping the wholesale trade of frozen meat after the agriculture ministry retained a ban following a probe.

The company sparked a continental food alert by allegedly passing off 750 tonnes of horsemeat as beef, and had its sanitary licence suspended last week.

On Monday, Spanghero was allowed to resume production of minced meat, sausages and ready-to-eat meals following protests from 300-odd workers who said they were being unfairly penalised and were not in the loop about any fraud.

But the company, whose horsemeat found its way into 4.5 million "beef" products sold across Europe, will no longer be allowed to stock frozen meat, the agriculture ministry said in a statement on Friday.

"The conclusions of this investigation lead us to maintain the suspension of the sanitary licence," it said, referring to whether Spanghero can store frozen meat for later resale.

The ministry said wholesale trade of unprocessed meat accounted for "only 2 to 3%" of the company's revenues.

Spanghero boss Barthelemy Aguerre said in a statement after the ministry's report that the company was ceasing trade in frozen meat and would focus on minced meat products and ready-made meals which it said were "at the heart" of its activities.

Agriculture Minister Stephane Le Foll said he "wanted the plant to manufacture ready-to-eat meals but no longer engage in meat trading."

Upholding the ban means Spanghero cannot act as middleman between abattoirs and food-processing companies, the situation which allegedly allowed it to change labels on horsemeat and sell it on as beef.

A vast food scandal has erupted in Europe after horsemeat was initially found in so-called beef ready-made meals and burgers in Britain and Ireland.

It has spread to as far as Hong Kong where an imported brand of lasagne was pulled from shelves.

Paris said on Friday it had sought details from a Dutch firm through which the horsemeat transited.

On Friday the parent company of Britain's Birds Eye, Iglo Foods Group, said it had withdrawn as a protective measure several products in Belgium, Ireland, Britain and the Netherlands after detecting traces of horsemeat in a chili con carne meal manufactured in Belgium.


Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.

meat scandal  |  horsemeat scandal
NEXT ON FIN24X

 
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Company Snapshot

We're talking about:

Small Business

Expanding your business requires capital and banks have stringent lending criteria in place.
 

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...
Loading...