New TV service launched to rival Netflix, Showmax

2017-05-04 15:06 - Kyle Venktess, Fin24
Post a comment 0



Johannesburg - Discover Digital on Thursday launched a new internet TV service, Digital Entertainment On Demand to rival services like Netflix and Showmax.

DEOD offers video content through Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), Over-the-Top (OTT) internet television services and Off-line delivery solutions.

Discover Digital formerly operated MTN’s video-on-demand service VU which was shut down on Wednesday, a day before the official launch of the new service.  

READ: New ShowMax tool promises 75% data savings

MTN said that all customers affected by the termination of VU would be compensated with a three-month subscription to Naspers-owned Showmax. 

Discover Digital is currently 80% privately owned with the other 20% owned by DD MANCO (Pty) Ltd that is backed by multi-national investment bank, Investec. 

DEOD customers will have access to entertainment, world news and sports, as well as inspirational and educational content.

DEOD is the first converged online OTT television service to launch in Africa, to offer On Demand Subscription content, Internet TV Channels and Pay-Per-View Rentals of cinema releases.

READ: Naspers seeks partners in Africa to take on Netflix

The service will be available on PC browsers, iOS and Android mobile devices and the plan to soon launch support for Chromecast, Airplay and DEOD Media Players as well as Smart TV applications.

DEOD offers seven subscription options which are valid for 30 days from date of payment with the cheapest package starting at R49 and the premium package for R189.

The cheapest Netflix package starting at R108.21 ($7.99) and the most expensive being R162.21 ($11.99).

Showmax costs R99 per month. 

*Fin24 is part of Media24 which is owned by Naspers.

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:

Read more about: netflix  |  showmax  |  internet tv  |  streaming