Samsung Galaxy Note 7
UPDATE: "For the benefit of consumers' safety, we stopped sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 and have consequently decided to stop production," - Samsung South Africa.
Johannesburg - Electronics giant Samsung have asked all Note 7 users to immediately switch off and return the device, saying the “affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk”.
The launch of what has previously been dubbed as Samsung’s best smartphone ever has been marred by global reports of several devices exploding amid battery cell issues.
READ: Samsung scrambles for answers after halting Note 7 phone sales
“We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note 7,” a statement on Tuesday.
“Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place,” it went further to say.
Samsung said that consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down, stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.
“Since the affected devices can overheat and pose a safety risk, we are asking consumers with an original Galaxy Note 7 or a replacement Galaxy Note 7 to power it down and contact the carrier or retail outlet where you purchased your Galaxy Note 7,” they said.
READ: YouTube video shows Note 7 'flamer' in Burger King
Note 7 users were asked to exchange the device for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge or request a refund.
“Samsung is working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note 7,” the company said.
@KyleVenktess on Twitter.