Company at risk, is tax write off an option? | Fin24
  • Load Shedding Schedules

    Find information for Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and other cities.

  • Another Rescue?

    Edcon | Is there appetite from creditors to extend another helping hand?

  • Tough Times

    SA restaurants face job cuts and possible closures as lockdown continues.


Company at risk, is tax write off an option?

Feb 24 2016 07:59

A Fin24 user at risk of losing his company wants to know how to go about having his tax written off.  He writes:

"I am on the brink of losing my company. I need to pay SARS R110 000. How can I go about applying for a tax write off. I do not have that kind of money. My book keeper handed me over and does not want to assist me."

Piet Nel, SA Institute of Tax Professionals responds:

We don’t have enough information and the guidance will be general in nature.  In particular we don’t know how the tax debt (the R100 000) arose. We accept it is a debt owed by the company.    

If it relates to tax due under an assessment that the taxpayer intends to dispute or disputes the liability to pay that tax you may request a senior SARS official to suspend the payment of tax or a portion thereof.

If the tax debt is not disputed a senior SARS official may enter into an agreement with the taxpayer in the prescribed form under which the taxpayer is allowed to pay a tax debt in one sum or in instalments, within the agreed period if satisfied that criteria or risks have been duly taken into consideration.  

Chapter 14 of the Tax Administration Act prescribes the circumstances under which SARS may deviate from the general rule (not to forgo any tax debts) and take a decision to 'write off' a tax debt or not to pursue its collection.  This is quite a complex part of the Act and you are well advised to consult an attorney or tax specialist in this regard. 

It is then important to note that this applies only in respect of a tax debt owed by a debtor if the liability to pay the tax debt is not disputed by the debtor. 

A senior SARS official may then decide to temporarily 'write off' an amount of tax debt if satisfied that the tax debt is uneconomical to pursue or a senior SARS official may authorise the permanent 'write off' of an amount of tax debt to the extent satisfied that the tax debt is irrecoverable at law or if the debt is 'compromised'.  

You will notice that a senior SARS official must be involved in each of the above mentioned.  It may therefore be make an appointment with a SARS official (the branch manager at the SARS office where the taxpayer’s file is) to discuss the matter with them.  

* Have a question? Send it to us and we will find an expert to answer.

ALSO SEE previous tax questions from users:

Can interns claim for travel expenses?

Home care and medical rebates

What to do when tax docs burn

Expat receiving pension from SA: Do I pay tax?

What are the limits on claiming travel expenses?

Can I claim for using my own car for work?

Temp teaching for 6 months, must she pay tax?

Working in Saudi, do I also pay tax in SA?

Can I claim for travel expenses?

Tax filing: No financial records yet, what now?

Filing returns for an education trust

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

sait  |  tax  |  money clinic


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

Voting Booth

Do you support a reduction in the public sector wage bill?

Previous results · Suggest a vote