How to claim for tax on pension moved to UK | Fin24
  • Covid-19 Money Hub

    The hub will help answer your business and money questions during the coronavirus crisis.

  • Coronavirus Funding

    Could a R100 billion social impact bond help fund SA's Covid-19 interventions?

  • Money Clinic

    I have invested R1m to be paid out monthly, I have not received any during Covid-19. What can I do?


How to claim for tax on pension moved to UK

Aug 20 2015 21:46

Cape Town - To help make the filing process as seamless as possible, Fin24 has joined forces with the SA Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT), to answer users' tax questions as far as possible. In the next question a Fin24 user wants to know how to claim for tax on a private pension transferred to the UK.

The user writes: I receive a South African private pension that I transfer to the UK. I hold non-resident status but for some reason this is still taxed in SA before being transferred into to my UK account.

During the 2014/15 SARS were overpaid by the pension administrator, due to a directive issued by SARS. Towards the end of the tax year the directive was then revoked by SARS and the administrator has now issued a letter stating this, explaining I should forward the letter on to SARS to claim a refund.
My problem is that being a non-resident I no longer complete an annual tax return. Emailing SARS has proven unsuccessful and for some reason they are reluctant to recognise the dual taxation agreement that is in place between both SARS and HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) in the UK.

My question is what is the correct form to complete to claim this refund and is this available to download from the SARS website?

Piet Nel, SA Institute of Tax Professionals responds:

The correct form to use is the RST02.  It can be found at the following link: Application by Non-Resident for a Directive for Relief from South African Tax for Pension and Annuities in terms of a Double Taxation Agreement

* Have a question? Send it to us and we will find an expert to answer.

Please note: The important deadline dates in the 2015 tax season are:

September 30 2015: Manual/postal submissions
November 27 2015: At a SARS branch (non-provisional)
November 27 2015: eFiling (non-provisional)
January 29 2016: Provisional taxpayers via eFiling

ALSO SEE previous tax questions from users:

Can interns claim for travel expenses?

Home care and medical rebates

What to do when tax docs burn

Expat receiving pension from SA: Do I pay tax?

What are the limits on claiming travel expenses?

Can I claim for using my own car for work?

Temp teaching for 6 months, must she pay tax?

Working in Saudi, do I also pay tax in SA?

Can I claim for travel expenses?

Tax filing: No financial records yet, what now?

Filing returns for an education trust

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

sait  |  tax filing season 2015  |  money clinic  |  tax


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

Voting Booth

How has Covid-19 impacted your financial position?

Previous results · Suggest a vote