Can I claim if I freelance? | Fin24
  • Mpumalanga Mine

    Constitutional Court rejects coal mining company’s attempt to appeal – but the saga isn’t over.

  • Audit Outcomes

    Turnaround plans had virtually no impact for ailing parastatals, the Auditor-General has found.

  • Battery Power

    Gordhan: Government intends to sign off soon on a "world class" battery storage project.


Can I claim if I freelance?

Aug 12 2015 14:15

Cape Town - To help make the filing process as seamless as possible, Fin24 has joined forces with the SA Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT), to answer users' tax questions as far as possible.

In the next question a Fin24 user wants to know if he can claim if he is a freelancer.

Piet Nel, SA Institute of Tax Professionals responds:

We assume the question relates to making deductions from gross income in arriving at taxable income for normal tax purposes.  

If the income (from freelancing) accrues to you in your capacity as an independent contractor (in the course of any trade carried on by you independently of the person by whom such amount is paid or payable and of the person to whom such services have been or are to be rendered) you will be entitled to the deductions and allowances permitted by the Income Tax Act. 

You didn’t give an indication of the expenses involved, but the deductions would include expenditure actually incurred in producing the income (not capital in nature), allowances in respect of assets used in the trade, cost of premises used, business travel, etc.  

If you are deemed to be an employee (if the services are required to be performed mainly at the premises of the person by whom such amount is paid or payable or of the person to whom such services were or are to be rendered and the person who rendered or will render the services is subject to the control or supervision of any other person as to the manner in which his or her duties are performed or to be performed or as to his hours of work) the deductions and allowances may be limited. 

For instance, the expenditure actually incurred in producing the income and business travel will then not be permitted.

* Have a question? Send it to us and we will find an expert to answer.

Please note: The important deadline dates in the 2015 tax season are:

September 30 2015: Manual/postal submissions
November 27 2015: At a SARS branch (non-provisional)
November 27 2015: eFiling (non-provisional)
January 29 2016: Provisional taxpayers via eFiling

ALSO SEE previous tax questions from users:

Can interns claim for travel expenses?

Home care and medical rebates

What to do when tax docs burn

Expat receiving pension from SA: Do I pay tax?

What are the limits on claiming travel expenses?

Can I claim for using my own car for work?

Temp teaching for 6 months, must she pay tax?

Working in Saudi, do I also pay tax in SA?

Can I claim for travel expenses?

Tax filing: No financial records yet, what now?

Filing returns for an education trust

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

sait  |  tax filing season 2015  |  money clinic  |  tax


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

What do you think about private healthcare in SA?

Previous results · Suggest a vote