Advice for mom whose son gets paid via her account | Fin24
  • Mpumalanga Mine

    Constitutional Court rejects coal mining company’s attempt to appeal – but the saga isn’t over.

  • Audit Outcomes

    Turnaround plans had virtually no impact for ailing parastatals, the Auditor-General has found.

  • Battery Power

    Gordhan: Government intends to sign off soon on a "world class" battery storage project.


Advice for mom whose son gets paid via her account

Sep 07 2015 17:13

Cape Town - A taxpayer is seeking advice on how to file a tax return when her son's earnings are being paid into her bank account.

To help make the filing process as seamless as possible Fin24 has joined forces with the SA Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT), to answer users' tax questions as far as possible.

User question: My 19-year-old son, a student, is getting paid by Google (Ireland) via my bank account. What would be the best way to approach this? I presume he needs to be registered as a tax payer and declare all this income on the IT12 via eFiling? I also suppose the normal threshold will apply, R70 700 for 2015.

Piet Nel, SA Institute of Tax Professionals responds:

The obligation to register as a taxpayer is to be determined mainly under section 66 of the Income Tax Act, read with the annual notice to submit returns. 

You are correct that, in terms of the notice relevant to the 2015 year of assessment, a natural person who, at the end of the year of assessment, was under the age of 65 and whose gross income didn’t exceed R70 700, does not have to furnish a return. 

If the taxable income of the individual concerned is also less than this amount, quite likely under the circumstances, no tax would be payable. 

* Have a question? Send it to us and we will find an expert to answer.

PLEASE NOTE: The important deadline dates in the 2015 tax season are:

September 30 2015: Manual/postal submissions
November 27 2015: At a SARS branch (non-provisional)
November 27 2015: eFiling (non-provisional)
January 29 2016: Provisional taxpayers via eFiling

ALSO SEE previous tax questions from users:

Can interns claim for travel expenses?

Home care and medical rebates

What to do when tax docs burn

Expat receiving pension from SA: Do I pay tax?

What are the limits on claiming travel expenses?

Can I claim for using my own car for work?

Temp teaching for 6 months, must she pay tax?

Working in Saudi, do I also pay tax in SA?

Can I claim for travel expenses?

Tax filing: No financial records yet, what now?

Filing returns for an education trust

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

sait  |  tax filing season 2015  |  money clinic  |  tax


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

What do you think about private healthcare in SA?

Previous results · Suggest a vote