Double charge for debt questioned | Fin24
  • New Notes

    Long queues have formed in Harare after Zimbabwe released new bank notes and coins.

  • Open Book

    Former President Jacob Zuma says the public protector can access his tax records.

  • SAA Strike Proposal

    The flag carrier's acting CFO says a strike could destroy the struggling airline and all its jobs.


Double charge for debt questioned

Feb 17 2016 07:27

A Fin24 user who has judgments against her name says the attorneys are double charging her for outstanding debt. She seeks advice:

"Kindly assist, I have two judgments on my name and the attorney who listed me is charging me double the amount that is on my credit profile. I have tried to complain about the other judgment with no luck and now I have decided to just pay."

Wikus Olivier from DebtSafe responds:

If I understand correctly you have a concern with the high settlement value that the attorneys quoted in order to settle the judgment debt. The amounts could be so high due to various reasons. It may be that interest have accrued to such an extent that it significantly increased the overall amount, or it could be due to attorneys fees and charges. Unfortunately the latter charges are not illegal and there is unfortunately no regulations of these fees and charges.

There is also no way that you can find an attorney to help you for cheaper simply because it is your creditors who appointed the said attorney.

Your best option would be to ask for a discounted settlement. You can also ask for a itemised statement to see what the split is between capital and attorneys fees and charges. If you feel that there might be unreasonable fees charged, you can lodge a complaint with the Law Society.

There is no guarantee that they will be able to do anything for you though. Your best option would be to pay off the debt as quickly as possible. Because they have a  judgment already, it would be relatively easy for them to institute a emoluments attachment order (also know as a garnishee).

As mentioned earlier, ask them for a discounted settlement amount, and if possible settle the debt. Once settled, the judgment listings must be removed from your name immediately.

ALSO READ: Employee ordered to pay back sick leave

*Do you have a pressing financial question? Post it on our Money Clinic section and we will get an expert to answer your query.

Disclaimer: Fin24 cannot be held liable for any investment decisions made based on the advice given by independent financial service providers. Under the ECT Act and to the fullest extent possible under the applicable law, Fin24 disclaims all responsibility or liability for any damages whatsoever resulting from the use of this site in any manner.

money  |  money clinic  |  debt


Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

What do you think about private healthcare in SA?

Previous results · Suggest a vote