JSE listing – A little Motsepe goes a long way | Fin24
  • Ferial Haffajee

    Why should SAA employees pay for the sins of Dudu Myeni and Jacob Zuma?

  • The Namibian Link

    Evidence is mounting that VBS Mutual Bank aided another elaborate bank heist.

  • Mobile Merger?

    Telkom has confirmed it is in talks to buy network operator Cell C.


JSE listing – A little Motsepe goes a long way

Aug 27 2017 06:00
Dewald Van Rensburg

Patrice Motsepe’s African Rainbow Capital (ARC) is set to squeeze maximum value out of his peculiar advantage in the South African business world: being a black capitalist who actually has capital.

A new R8.5 billion investment fund, African Rainbow Capital Investments (ARC-I) will list on the JSE on September 7.

It will pursue the same strategy as the property partnership ARC announced earlier this year: find people who need both cash and BEE points and help them out by investing at a discount.

This is the next step in the evolution of ARC, which was born out of Motsepe’s spectacularly successful BEE deal with Sanlam in 2004.

ARC is wholly owned by Ubuntu-Botho Investments (UBI), the BEE vehicle that owns 14.5% of Sanlam and in which Motsepe has a 55% stake.

ARC has been building a portfolio of assets with UBI money under the management of former Sanlam CEO Johan van Zyl and former Sanlam Investments boss Johan van der Merwe.

ARC will now “seed” the new ARC-I with most of its assets in return for a 51% stake in the listed entity. A total of R4.5bn in assets will go into the listed company and new investors will subscribe for the other 49% for a total of R4bn.

Speaking to City Press this week, Van der Merwe explained the rationale for the listing.

“If you look at the opportunity set in South Africa, there are hundreds of billions in possible transactions. They all need credible empowerment.

“By listing, we double the size of the universe of opportunities ... This is an opportunity to bring in outside money and keep the empowerment credentials.”

Among the new investors are the Public Investment Corporation, Sanlam Private Wealth and Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund GIC.

The key is that ARC’s shareholding will always remain 51%. “At the end of the day it will still be controlled by black money,” said Van der Merwe.

“If white money enters it, that white money is helping the whole thing to be better for the black shareholders,” he said.

Because ARC won’t dilute its shareholding, there is a limit to the scale of the new investment group.

“Even though Patrice has a lot of money, there is a limitation,” said Van der Merwe.

“It can’t be hundreds of billions of rands, but it can be tens of billions. We don’t want to be the biggest, we want the best return.”

ARC-I is in effect a hedge fund. Its assets will be run by a general partner, which will earn a fee of 1.25% on returns which can escalate massively if certain targets are met.

That general partner will be controlled by UBI.

Among the well-known participants in the new listed venture is former Exxaro CEO Sipho Nkosi, while Van Zyl and Van der Merwe will be directors of the general partner.

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:



Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

What do you think about private healthcare in SA?

Previous results · Suggest a vote