Sanral misleading public about Cape tolls - City | Fin24
 
In partnership with
  • Data Market Inquiry

    MTN says it is prepared to defend itself before Competition Tribunal over report.

  • Claims of sabotage

    What we know so far about allegations of sabotage at an Eskom power station.

  • Dudu Myeni

    Court dismisses former SAA chiar's bid to have Outa withdraw from delinquency case.

Loading...

Sanral misleading public about Cape tolls - City

Apr 02 2015 12:11

Cape Town - The South African National Roads Agency (Sanral) is misleading the very people who will have to fund its Cape Winelands toll project, the City of Cape Town's mayoral committee member for transport Brett Herron said on Thursday.

"Instead of providing the public with ‘some perspective’ on the matter, Sanral is once again misleading the very people who will have to fund their ill-conceived project," said Herron, referring to Sanral responses in the media.  

READ: Sanral breaks silence on Cape toll 'secret'

The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday ruled in favour of the City of Cape Town by setting aside an order made by the Western Cape High Court on August 28 2014 concerning Sanral's secrecy application.

The documents Sanral was ordered to provide to the City contradict statements by Sanral CEO Nazir Alli made to the media and the public, according to Herron.

READ: Cape Town discloses Sanral's tolling secrets

"Sanral’s track record speaks for itself. The residents of Gauteng have had first-hand experience of this public entity’s integrity, accountability and transparency, or should I rather say lack thereof," said Herron.

"Instead of simply disputing the information we have discovered from these documents, it would be useful for Mr Alli to share with us what he claims to be the true toll fees and the Protea Parkway Consortium’s (PPC’s) projected revenues."

In Herron's view the public has not been given information on the proposed toll tariffs, but only provided with general information.

"Sanral is not prevented from upgrading the roads and the City denies that there are serious safety concerns with regard to the Huguenot Tunnel," said Herron.

The City claims that the decisions initiating this tolling project have not been taken lawfully and in accordance with the Sanral Act. Herron said Sanral's claims must be proven in court.

He also pointed out that the City has not claimed that PPC - the preferred bidder for the project - would earn R48bn in profit. PPC’s tender documents, however, indicate that its estimated revenue would be about R48bn.

"We did not claim that Sanral had undertaken to guarantee PPC’s revenue or traffic numbers. The concession contract provides for a reimbursement provision, which effectively guarantees the proposed toll tariff," said Herron.

The City and Sanral head to the Western Cape High Court August 11 2015, when the City's review application will be heard.

ALSO READ: Sanral's Cape toll tariff shocker

sanral  |  nazir alli  |  brett herron  |  western cape  |  sa economy  |  tolls
NEXT ON FIN24X

 
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
-2 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
 

Company Snapshot

Voting Booth

How concerned are you about ransomware attacks?

Previous results · Suggest a vote

Loading...