Libya cuts internet access
Fin24

Libya cuts internet access

2011-02-20 14:38

Los Angeles - Internet service has been cut off in Libya for a second consecutive day as protesters step up demonstrations against longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi, a US company that monitors Internet traffic said on Saturday.

Massachusetts-based Arbor Networks said data collected from 30 internet providers around the world showed that online traffic in and out of Libya was disconnected abruptly at 7:15pm EST on Friday after two partial interruptions earlier that day.

Internet traffic returned several hours later at reduced levels only to drop off completely again at 4:55pm EST on Saturday, according to the Arbor data.

Dozens of protesters were killed in clashes with Libyan security forces in the eastern city of Benghazi on Saturday, a witness said, in the worst unrest in Gaddafi's four decades in power.

The internet has been used in recent weeks by anti-government protesters in North Africa and the Middle East to help coordinate their demonstrations.

Egyptian authorities cut internet service for a few days during a revolt that succeeded last week in toppling Hosni Mubarak after 30 years in power.