Calls for answers on R61m bus tender
Fin24

Calls for answers on R61m bus tender

2015-01-30 06:30

Durban - Calls were made on Thursday for the KwaZulu-Natal health department and the province's health MEC to answer questions over a R61m mobile hospital tender.

At the same time, Mzansi Lifecare, the company that secured the lion's share of the tender, said it had complied with all the tender requirements and apologised for threats made to the Sapa journalist investigating the tender.

READ: Sapa reporter threatened over tender story

The calls and reaction followed an investigation by Sapa published on Tuesday which revealed that the department would spend about R61m on two vehicles, one of which was a mobile hospital vehicle leased from Mzansi Lifecare for R52.5m over three years.

The Democratic Alliance's KwaZulu-Natal health spokesperson Dr Imran Keeka said he had asked questions about the "mobile hospitals" last year, but health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo had not answered them.

"Late last year I submitted a set of parliamentary questions to KZN Health MEC, Sibongiseni Dhlomo in an attempt to allay my suspicions that tender processes may not have been conducted according to procedure."

READ: MEC must answer mobile tender questions - DA

He said all his other questions had been answered, but those surrounding tender ZNB 9281/2012-H had not been answered.

"Our questions regarding mobile hospitals remain unanswered and conveniently ignored. His evasive manner is a recurring problem which raises very serious questions of integrity," he said.

‘Mismanagement and corruption’

The Health and Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa called for Dhlomo and department head Dr Sibongile Zungu to be sacked.

Spokesperson Michelle Connolly said: "We demand an immediate explanation from the department as to how this bus project ended up costing them R61m over three years, and the state still ends up not actually owning a single bus. And since when does a newly registered company, with no verifiable experience, land such a big tender?"

She said the union had long been of the opinion that both Dhlomo and Zungu should be axed "as they have presided over a department that is perpetually in a state of mismanagement and corruption - and this is to the detriment of both workers and patients."

She referred to a recent announcement that Zungu was being investigated by an inquiry for alleged mismanagement and corruption - allegations levelled at Zungu by the rival National Education Health and Allied Workers Union, who have also in the past called for Zungu to be sacked.

She said Zungu should also be sacked for failing to maintain two cancer radiotherapy machines installed in Durban's Addington Hospital at a cost of R120m.

In a brief statement on Thursday Dr Nandi Sakhile Msimang, the chief executive of Mzansi Lifecare, said the company had complied with all the requirements of the tender.

READ: Mzansi says complied with R52m tender requirements

She said: "Mzansi Lifecare registered an application to supply mobile medical units, and after complying with legal tender requirements was transparently awarded the tender contract in 2013 to supply one mobile truck with specific healthcare equipment in terms of a KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health tender".

She said that the company had delivered [the vehicle] "in accordance with all the tender requirements".

Msimang also apologised for a threatening phone call that Sapa journalist Giordano Stolley received within four hours of sending questions to the company querying the tender.

A man who identified himself as Patrick King told Stolley last Friday that: "I'm saying to you that if I found out that you write the wrong things about us, then I will deal with you personally".

Msimang said on Thursday, she "unconditionally apologises for Mr Patrick King's outburst" and that it was an "emotional reaction" that she had not authorised.

The US company LifeLine Mobile, based in the state of Ohio, told the Sapa investigation after analysing pictures and detailed plans that it could ship four 12m-long vehicles with a comparable floor plans with X-ray and ultrasound machines for about $1.1m (R12.5m at current exchange rate) each.

"For the price they [the health department] were charged, LifeLine could have delivered four identical vans to Durban. And, it wouldn't be on a lease agreement; they would own all four of the vans," said Richard M Dinse, the vice president of LifeLine Mobile.

The second vehicle supplied as part of the tender was sold to the department for R4.9m and the department pays about R100 000 a month to MST for the vehicle's operational costs over three years ending August 2016.

Comments
  • Made Inthe South - 2015-01-30 06:37

    I wonder which ZANC cadres are the shareholders here,i bet there is a Zuma in the mix.It is another Gaston Savoi "Amigos" case,where the KZN health department paid exorbitant prices for water purification equipment and where Gaston Savoi paid huge bribes to the ZANC

      Secrecy Bill - 2015-01-30 07:13

      Gradually the DA will win SA province by province and CORRUPTION will be defeated ! .... (And, at last, there was peace on the valley ! )

      Dawid Venter - 2015-01-30 07:19

      Just another way of the anc to subsidize their members lavish life styles. Why can the voters not see what is happening? Are they realy so blind and brainless. Pathetic Leeching Virus's.

      Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 07:46

      Anthony, I am not one who pulls the race card but your comment is racist. Non-whites are no longer disenfranchised, that era came to an end. Don't paint everyone with the same brush. If you don't have anything appropriate to say, silence is the intelligent option.

      Gerhard Vermaak - 2015-01-30 07:47

      If it smells like sh... it normally is, maybe he thought if he kept quiet long enough it might go away eish these agents

      Ritz40 - 2015-01-30 08:00

      Well said Kholo

      Deeked De Dose - 2015-01-30 08:07

      Kholo... HAving read Anthonys comment, I do not see anything that resembles racism... In fact, yare the only person to have mentioned race.... He did say that ANC voters are brain dead scum... that is not racist as anybody can vote for the ANC... (well not anybody with more than half a brain)

      Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 08:17

      @ deeked, clearly you read selectively because you missed the part about "apartheid getting one thing right and that was to prevent those stupid idiots from voting and having a say" (quote from Anthony) So let's give you a lesson of SA history 101 (I do hope that you will be able to read this in its entirety). Apartheid was a system of racial segregation. During this time, non-whites were not able to vote. 1994 saw the first democratic election in SA where all its citizens were able to vote. Hope that clears things up for you. If you need more info, Google is your friend (just make sure you read reputable sources though)

      Ritz40 - 2015-01-30 08:31

      Dose you are just as big a racist as Anthony. How do you defend a comment defending apartheid? Especially the part that didn't allow other people to vote.

      Dawid Venter - 2015-01-30 08:46

      Kholo see it this way then : Was Anthony wrong by saying that apartheid prevented idiots from voting if you look around you today and see the state of S.A? And yet in this state the voters still vote for more poverty , more hunger, more jobless days? Will a person with a brain who suffers and see why they suffer keep on voting for the same party? First Democratic election you say? Get your dictionary closer and see it says nothing of BEE, AA and EE in a democratic country. Racism is still very much alive and boosted by the anc. And until there is REALLY EQUAL opportunities for every one this will never end.

      Masakane Sesoko - 2015-01-30 09:19

      People continue voting ANC , not because anc will make difference but because of racist remarks like that of Anthony. Racism Empowered ANC . DA try its best but handful racists damage all their effort .they voting anc because of people like Anthony.Thanks Kholo for helping this racists on how to comment

      Dhavandran Palavar - 2015-01-30 09:42

      The stupidity of rANC cANCer is evident in the fact that they are still insistent on going for zanzsi lifecare when lifeline usa can supply 4 identical vehicles complete with x-rays and much more is ignored. Thugs all the way.

      Pack Age - 2015-01-30 10:13

      "Calls for answers" I would rather say calls for suspensions and arrests rather! This is open and shut Skullduggery

  • George Gibbs - 2015-01-30 06:42

    So how does that work? Our tax money wasted again and again?!

      Made Inthe South - 2015-01-30 06:48

      Proudly brought to us by the ZANC

      David Broadfoot - 2015-01-30 07:49

      Its not wasted George. It made someone's bank acc. FAT. :-(

  • Akhenaten C.T. - 2015-01-30 06:54

    News24, we have a right to reply to Ramatlhodi. He is a public figure and if he talks nonsense to influence voters, you should not keep us from replying.

      Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 07:20

      Agreed. They should have not reported on the matter. On that note, what does Apartheid have to do with selebi's death? Did I miss something?

      Xivuri Travor - 2015-01-30 07:29

      Who is controlling how we must comment.

      Pack Age - 2015-01-30 10:15

      News24 moderators are blatantly protecting Zuma by which posts they nuke it is plain to see the ANC has infiltrated the news24 Moderators also

  • Bob Parnell - 2015-01-30 06:55

    Access to information bill... coming soon

  • Phil Hair - 2015-01-30 07:00

    Keep it up Imran, We are behind you

  • Mariah Prudy Mahlangu - 2015-01-30 07:05

    BEEE at its best

  • Chris Bothma - 2015-01-30 07:09

    I suppose just another "error of judgment". Now wait, see how this too is because apartheid is alive and well. What are we suppose to do, just accept that dishonesty is ok?

  • Chantelle Crocker Monaghan - 2015-01-30 07:11

    News24 has a moderator who likes to control what we can comment on.

      Angie Sykes - 2015-01-30 07:38

      And they are pro cANCer all the way !!

  • pete.mears.96 - 2015-01-30 07:14

    Things are not going very well are they?

      Billy Andrew Croucamp - 2015-01-30 07:46

      Do they ever in Africa.... history speaks for itself...

  • Robin Burgess - 2015-01-30 07:19

    We will get no answer, the money will dissapear, the tender will notbe met and South Africa will continue to vote ANC. I cry for my beloved South Africa.

  • Clive Brink - 2015-01-30 07:21

    Its Jan Van Riebeck's fault that the MEC is paying 100% too much to lease a vehicle that could have been purchased for a fraction of the price, and owned by the Province. BEEE in overdrive. Where is all the money coming form, this is sheer madness.

      Angie Sykes - 2015-01-30 07:36

      The money is coming from those "apartheid bastards" - the WHITES

  • Xivuri Travor - 2015-01-30 07:23

    Just like article about ramatlodi

  • Xivuri Travor - 2015-01-30 07:24

    Just like article about Ramatlodi

  • Alan Robertson - 2015-01-30 07:28

    I am beginning to use other online news services because of news 24s arbitrary and undemocratic disabling of comments. ..who decides which articles can be censored?

      Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 07:31

      Clearly cANCer. As DA would say, "Censorship. Proudly brought to you by the ANC"

      Angie Sykes - 2015-01-30 07:35

      Simple. They have an illegal Zimbabwean citizen censoring all about dog Mugabe and an ANC cadre censoring all from Ali Baba and his thousand thieves.

  • Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 07:28

    Oh cANCer, lauding yet another corrupt cronie. What did Ramahlodi expect the reaction to selebi's death to be? Should we have swept the fact he was a convicted criminal under the carpet? These people don't even know the word accountability exists. Yes we admit, he was human but when you are in the public eye, a public servant as well, you are held to a higher order (I guess that's something they haven't quite grasped in the 20 years they've been in power). Cry the beloved country

  • Angie Sykes - 2015-01-30 07:32

    Hahaha they are so clever (stupid). Ramatlhodi says Selebi is a hero and blames aoartheid for that he stole money. This means that if you steal you are a true ANC cadre...the more you steal the higher your ranking.

  • Kholo Kholofelo - 2015-01-30 07:32

    I do ask again, did anyone get what apartheid had to do with selebi's death? I clearly missed something

      Sange Mgwigwi - 2015-01-30 07:42

      Lol I asked myself the same question when I read the article on this site-Trust the Anc to try and shift focus from real issues affecting SA citizens like corruption FACT: Apartheid is no longer, Corruption is alive and thriving

      Paige Turner - 2015-01-30 10:30

      Apartheid apparently gave him the blueprint for how to duck, dive, plunder, take backhanders, live the high life etc etc ... and he passed with flying colours (as his comrades continue to do).

  • Boniwe Mgcina - 2015-01-30 07:33

    Is it really worth 61m at the end of the day!!!!!!what a waste of our tax money skelms ??

  • Joe Irwin - 2015-01-30 07:35

    Anyone who looks a the amounts charged, can rightfully assume that fraud is involved. If by a miracle there is no fraud, then the level of incompetence and mismanagement is ridiculous and these people must be removed.

  • Buffalo Bull - 2015-01-30 07:37

    And in other news - Zanc leaders like RAMATLHODE should stop cowering behind the worn out excuse of apartheid and desist from inciting racial friction or face prosecution ! ... (Time to be responsible for your hate mongering ! )

  • Erns Kleynhans - 2015-01-30 08:05

    Let's put this into perspective: Advanced care ambulances cost about $250 000 (R2.88 Million). All of a sudden KZN pays $2.5 Million (close to R30 million rand a piece). How is that justifiable? What about transparency... show us all the documentation involved please...

  • hoosain.chavoos - 2015-01-30 08:16

    We will get no answers to this blatant corruption they will try to justify their actions which will make no sense to the educated people an inquiry will be set up and the persons involved may be found guilty and instead of being sacked they will merely be moved into another cadre job and the cycle will continue until there is nothing left in the coffers proudly brought to you by the ANC

  • Ranjeeth Rhugonun - 2015-01-30 08:40

    Stifled. Desperately need a breath of fresh air. Just give me department run by ANC that is not involved in corruption.

  • Shirley Deysel - 2015-01-30 09:11

    Get rid of all these useless idiots!!!!

  • tony.becker.961 - 2015-01-30 09:36

    Well if the chief box, platkop,pig eyes Zuma doesn't answer questions, why should the rest of these useless pieces of sloppy dung.

  • John Stoltz - 2015-01-30 10:20

    Just dig deep enough and you are likely to find a connected ANC crony somewhere in the money collecting mechanisms!! It runs in their genes you know!!

  • Ria Cook - 2015-01-30 10:59

    Answer questions? It's gonna be a LONG wait ....

  • Roddy Jardim - 2015-01-30 11:47

    The looting continues, amazing how this government protects criminal's as long as the are anc.

  • arthur.salvado - 2015-02-02 07:46

    We k ow that it's OUTRIGHT THEFT" but please leave it alone. It will cost millions to set up an enquiry with no result. R61million is peanuts. We now only attend to billions being stolen on a daily basis .

  • pages:
  • 1