Fin24

No uptake on Amplats offer yet

2012-11-06 12:36

Johannesburg - The 12 000 miners fired from Anglo Platinum [JSE:AMS] in Rustenburg have still not taken up the company's reinstatement offer and have yet to return to work, NUM said on Tuesday.

"They are not back to work," said National Union of Mineworkers' (NUM) spokesperson Lesiba Seshoka.

However, negotiations were still underway on the terms of their return, and attempts to have one of the amounts offered raised, he said.

Comment from the company was not immediately available.

On Monday, the company said it would provide an update, where appropriate, and that its statement from Thursday was still valid.

In that statement, Amplats said its reinstatement offer was strictly subject to all strikers returning to work and doing actual work activities by no later than Tuesday, October 30.

"This offer, which has not yet been accepted by employees, is still open."

The company had offered a once-off R2 000 "hardship allowance" to help workers in financial difficulties due to the no-work, no-pay principle.

Two weeks ago, the platinum producer said it met with unions to facilitate the return of the 12 000 dismissed workers, and those who were on an illegal strike at its Union and Amandelbult mines.

Amplats fired the 12 000 after they failed to appear for a disciplinary hearing. They had been on a wildcat strike since September 12, in demand of a minimum wage of R16 000 a month.

The Amplats offer was made in consultation with the NUM, Uasa, the National Union of Metalworkers of SA, Solidarity, and a strikers' committee.

On Tuesday the SA Human Rights Commission said it would investigate a report in The New Age that four non-striking workers at the Amandelbult mine were forced to strip naked, apparently by mineworkers who had been on strike, to punish them for reporting for work.

The newspaper published a photograph showing three men and a woman standing naked in front of a crowd.

SAHRC spokesperson Isaac Mangena told SAfm: "As the commission, we will be taking up this matter."

He said: "We have mandated our Limpopo office to take up the matter at the mine and we basically call on the police to investigate this because this is clearly a criminal act."

 

Comments
  • Shaun - 2012-11-06 13:14

    i will take the offer.its more than what i get now.i wish i got that much,i could rent a leka flat and eat nicely and buy good quality furniture,but even with this much they still say they gotta live in a shack.what is wrong with their money management skills?

  • peter.jefferies.90 - 2012-11-06 13:38

    I am confused by this, the offer is that they return to work by 30 October if not they are fired?? It is now the 6th of November, why have the workers not been fired? ARe they going to go back in time and start work last week Tuesday? Just fire them already, whoe needs peoplewho don't want to work??

      deon.louw.7505 - 2012-11-06 14:19

      They have been fired already but given a lifeline to return. Maybe they should stay fired?

  • deon.louw.7505 - 2012-11-06 13:38

    Don't we have any other unemployed miners that want to work?

  • gazaspells - 2012-11-06 17:51

    here is a simple solution to these illegal strikes, bring the army, allow those who want to go to work to go to work and start a process to improve the condtions and salaries of mining workers. you cant resort to anrchy everytime you have a problem, u have parents burning a school and a library becvause they are complaining that the library they have is too small. yo, cry the beloved country

  • pages:
  • 1