Angola govt fails to approve $1.75bn Cobalt deal | Fin24
 
  • Load Shedding Schedules

    Find information for Johannesburg, Durban, Cape Town and other cities.

  • Step-by-Step Guide

    How to register your business as an essential service during the lockdown.

  • Bullion

    Gold is in demand - but with top suppliers in lockdown, who will produce it?

Loading...

Angola govt fails to approve $1.75bn Cobalt deal

Aug 23 2016 14:00

London - Cobalt International Energy said the proposed $1.75bn sale of a 40% stake in two offshore oil blocks in Angola to the state oil company was terminated as it did not get the necessary approvals from the country's government.

The deal was automatically terminated after the Angolan government did not give the approvals within one year, Cobalt said on Tuesday.

The oil and gas producer announced in August last year the sale of its 40% stake in the fields to Angola's Sonangol, which holds the remaining stake.

But, three weeks back Cobalt warned that it was unlikely to close the deal.

Cobalt said on Tuesday it has begun the marketing and sale process of the assets.

The company's shares had tumbled more than 40% on August 2 when the company first said that the deal was unlikely to close. Since then the stock has pared most of it's losses through Monday's close.

Read Fin24's top stories trending on Twitter:

angola
NEXT ON FIN24X

 
 
 
 

Company Snapshot

Voting Booth

Do you support a reduction in the public sector wage bill?

Previous results · Suggest a vote

Loading...