• You can’t eat dust

    We should insist on products that save our soil and ensure food security, says Mandi Smallhorne.

  • Terry Bell's Inside Labour

    Calling zama-zamas illegal is a case of criminalising an act of entrepreneurship.

  • 'Disappearing' data

    Faster networks and consumer habits have led to perceptions of vanishing data, says Vodacom.

All data is delayed
Loading...
See More

Zuma dealing with Gordhan/Moyane clash - Cabinet

Mar 03 2016 12:30
Matthew le Cordeur, Tammy Petersen and Genevieve Quintal

Cape Town – President Jacob Zuma is personally dealing with the tension between Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan and SA Revenue Services (Sars) commissioner Tom Moyane, Cabinet said in a statement on Thursday.

Following Cabinet’s meeting on Wednesday, it called on “all interested parties to exercise calm and restraint, and allow space for the matters to be resolved using correct channels”.

“President Zuma is dealing with the matter of (Gordhan and Moyane)… through the correct channels using correct legal prescripts,” said acting Cabinet spokesperson Phumla Williams.

“The president is putting measures in place to address the issues responsibly and amicably for the benefit of all.”

Gordhan wants Zuma to fire Moyane due to a breakdown in their working relationship, while the Hawks investigation into the “rogue unit” at Sars has been criticised for interfering with the minister ahead of his Budget Address last week.

Gordhan on Wednesday informed the Hawks that he needs more time before responding to the questions they sent last week.

"He will respond in due course, once he has properly examined the questions and ascertained what information, of the information you request, he is able to provide,” Gordhan told the Hawks through his lawyers.

“We request the following information to assist him in preparing his response: On what authority do you rely on directing these questions to the honourable minister? Are you investigating any offence? If so, what is it?”

FULL STORY: Gordhan hits back, asks Hawks to clarify Sars 'rogue unit' probe

The questions don’t mean the former Sars head is under investigation, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko said on Wednesday. "It is for clarity," he insisted at a media briefing, saying the response would form part of the probe.

Among the 27 questions posed to the former Sars commissioner are whether he had any knowledge of the disbandment of the National Research Group in 2009, leading to the establishment of the High Risk Investigation Unit or the "rogue unit"; the aims and objectives of the new unit; and who was heading the unit and who it was responsible and accountable to.

Nhleko said there were also no charges yet, arguing that one "can’t have charges without investigations into possible violations".

FULL STORY: Questions sent to Gordhan only 'for clarity', Nhleko insists

Following this press conference, former Sars deputy commissioner Ivan Pillay and strategic planning risk group executive Peter Richer accused Nhleko and State Security Minister David Mahlobo of violating their rights to dignity and reputation.

"We are left with no other option than to seek legal advice and to take appropriate action to defend ourselves," Pillay and Richer said in a joint statement on Wednesday.

"To date, all investigations that have been instituted against us, either by Sars or other state institutions, have never afforded us a fair opportunity to be heard or to have our side of the story represented."

FULL STORY: Former Sars officials respond to ministers' press briefing

Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest. 24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

sars  |  jacob zuma  |  pravin gordhan  |  tom moyane  |  rogue unit

 
 
 
 

Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

Applying for a loan via social media is:

Previous results · Suggest a vote

Loading...