Cape Town - A proposed job seekers' grant will incentivise
young people to remain jobless, DA leader Helen Zille said on Monday.
Speaking to the media in parliament, Zille echoed the
concerns of other groups, including the Black Business Council, which is more
optimistic about a youth wage subsidy rather than a grant.
Other commentators have said detail is lacking, especially
about whether taxpayers will fund the scheme.
"It would provide yet another grant that would entrench
unemployment and even potentially incentivise young people to stay out of work,"
Zille said on Monday.
The job seekers' fund was discussed at the ANC policy
conference in June.
"It is a holding pattern designed to keep the ANC
alliance partners happy until Mangaung is over," Zille said.
She said a youth wage subsidy was the only way to go.
Zille said it was imperative that initiatives, like lowering
the cost of doing business, were put in place, and that inflexible labour laws
"This, coupled with the proposed youth wage subsidy,
which incentivises the employment of unskilled young people, is the plan South
The DA announced last week what it has called an
"opportunity voucher scheme" to fund those who want to start their
own businesses or people interested in developing skills.