NCC head taking dept to court
Johannesburg - The National Consumer Commission (NCC) head is taking the trade and industry department to court after claiming she was effectively dismissed when her position was advertised, The Star reported on Monday.
Mamodupi Mohlala-Mulaudzi claimed she only learned of her contract's termination when seeing her position advertised in a Sunday newspaper last week.
She was appointed NCC head in 2010 following an out-of-court settlement with the department, after her removal as department director general by former communications minister Siphiwe Nyanda.
Mohlala-Mulaudzi claimed she was being victimised for reporting the department's current director general Lionel October to the Public Protector.
"The answer is that the Public Protector has communicated to myself that she deems the complaint I laid against the director general as valid. That is the only reason," The Star quoted her as saying.
Department spokesperson Sidwell Medupe said the department would fight her in court.
"She cannot say she only learnt about the advert in the papers because the minister [Rod Davies] wrote to her about it way before the advert was placed," he said.