• Cost of doing business

    The world can't afford the $4.7trn a year in environmental costs of business, says Mandi Smallhorne.

  • Voter paralysis

    With so much tilting voters against change, democratic reason is the loser, says Solly Moeng.

  • The power of perseverance

    True grit is a reliable predictor of who will achieve success in life, says Ian Mann.

All data is delayed
See More

Power prices threaten SA food

Jun 24 2011 06:39
James-Brent Styan
Johannesburg - Rising electricity costs could spell the end of irrigation farming in South Africa.

Agricultural experts say it is becoming impossible for these farmers to operate profitably.

Dr Theo de Jager, deputy chief executive of Agri SA, said the situation was progressively deteriorating because electricity prices would rise sharply for years to come.

De Jager said 25% of South Africa’s staple foodstuffs – wheat and maize – is being produced under irrigation.

This may not sound much, but it is this 25% upon which the country relies. Production of the other 75% depends on whether or not it rains.

De Jager said if fewer farmers irrigate and a drought should occur, South Africa’s food security could be at risk. Farmers are struggling with more than just electricity prices, he said. The high cost of diesel is taking just as heavy a toll.

De Jager said the situation is so serious that South Africa may soon have to import all produce currently being grown using irrigation, as that would be cheaper.

Eskom spokesperson Hillary Joffe said the utility was aware of farmers’ concern over the cost of electricity, but it was so far unaware of specific cases where farmers had started switching off irrigation pumps.

In the 2010/11 financial year farmers had to pay 18.7% more for power. This increase was less than the 24.8% average price increase that the National Energy Regulator (Nersa) had approved for the period.

Joffe said the agricultural sector will pay 25.78% more for electricity in the 2011/12 financial year.

The average increase for this period is 25.8%.

The agricultural sector uses around 3% of Eskom’s total generated electricity. Most of this is used for irrigation.

De Jager said farmers are already doing all they can to use the electricity as efficiently as possible.

For instance, they irrigate after 22:00 at night, when electricity is cheaper, but still struggle to recover costs.

Investment Solutions economist Chris Hart said that above-inflation tariff increases are bad news for the agricultural sector, and that the problem is that prices of agricultural products do not rise correspondingly.

He said the entire economy is experiencing the same problem. That is one reason why the economic recovery has been so lacklustre. At current interest rate levels the economy should be growing strongly, but this is not happening.

Hart said to rectify the situation farmers’ production prices should rise. But this could not happen because it would then be cheaper to import.

On Thursday, Eskom met representatives of organised agriculture to discuss issues such as electricity tariffs and electricity theft. The outcome of the meeting was unknown by production time.

- Sake24

For business news in Afrikaans, go to Sake24.com.
agri sa  |  eskom  |  food  |  agriculture


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

We're talking about:


Debt is one of the biggest financial issues facing South Africans today. Find out how you can avoid and manage your debt with Fin24 and Debt Rescue.

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

The upcoming petrol price hike is:

Previous results · Suggest a vote