Johannesburg - SA Communist Party general secretary Blade
Nzimande has urged members of the ANC Youth League not to participate in
planned marches for economic freedom, the Sowetan reported on Monday.
Nzimande said youth league members should not participate in
"any march that will not make a difference" in their lives.
"Do not allow yourselves to be used by people with
agendas that are not in your interest," the newspaper quoted him as saying
at the SACP's 6th provincial congress in northern KwaZulu-Natal.
"We are not going to be supporting any march whose
intention is malicious and is to undermine the authority of the ANC and the
The Economic Freedom Youth Mass Action would be held on
October 27 and 28 at Beyers Naude Square in central Johannesburg, the Chamber
of Mines in Hollard street, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange in Sandton and at
the Union Buildings in Pretoria, where a night vigil was planned.
The ANCYL would march for the nationalisation of mines, the
expropriation of land without compensation, the banning of labour brokers, free
education, decent housing, electricity for all formal and informal settlements
and clean drinking water and sanitation.
Last week, the Congress of SA Trade Unions said it would
join the ANCYL.
According to the Sowetan, the Young Communist League
provincial organising secretary Mlondolozi Mkhize said its members would not
participate in the march because it was aimed at undermining the ANC.
Mkhize said the march was a "struggle by (youth league
leader Julius) Malema to demonstrate" how he can organise young people to
insult the ANC and the government.