Fin24

Num to mull nationalisation report

2012-02-27 14:23

Johannesburg - The National Union of Mineworkers (Num) will examine the consequences of the proposals in the ANC's nationalisation report, general secretary Frans Baleni said on Monday.

"Once we have done our homework we will engage with the ANC," Baleni told reporters in Johannesburg following the Num's national executive committee (NEC) meeting.

He said more analysis of the research needed to be done, including examining the consequences of the research proposals.

The ANC report examining the mining sector was compiled by three economists who visited 13 countries to investigate mining models and best practices that would be viable for South Africa.

Business Day reported that the leaked study found that nationalising mines would be unconstitutional.

It apparently concluded that the government could not afford to buy stakes in mines and recommended an upward revision of royalties and tax regimes.

Baleni said the Num welcomed the ANC's upcoming policy conference in June.

The Num "views it as providing an opportunity to review policies that are not helpful to the poor".

"The Num will engage (the Congress of SA Trade Unions) Cosatu to ensure that policies that favour the working class and the poor are adopted, particularly those that will help stamp out unemployment, poverty and inequalities," he said.

The Num would support Cosatu's protest against the Gauteng toll roads and labour brokers on March 7.

"We fully support Cosatu that we should not be made to bear the cost of these unplanned tollgates," Baleni said.

"That a province can just decide on something that has huge national impact without proper consultation is not acceptable."

The Num called on its members to support the protest.

"The NEC further lamented government's intention to regulate labour brokers and appealed to the state to seriously reconsider its position as slavery cannot be regulated," according to a Num statement issued at the briefing.

Cosatu vowed to press ahead with a strike against toll fees in Gauteng, despite Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan announcing lower tariffs in his budget speech last week. 

Comments
  • Bob - 2012-02-27 15:34

    This ANC just seems hell bent on wrecking the economy, BEE costs a fortune to implement, is racist and only succeeds in making wealthy black people even wealthier, no encouragement for companies to train and create real employment for previoulsy disadvantaged people, now they want to nationalise mines and then who knows what else, proven world wide to be an absolute backward step, when if ever are they going to do something good for the people of this country.

  • wynand.meyering - 2012-02-27 21:15

    Visit Tanzania.

  • pages:
  • 1