Johannesburg - The National Education, Health, and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) on Tuesday provisionally resolved to accept government's 7.5% wage increase offer and R800 housing allowance, a spokesman said.
"As Nehawu, we took a resolution to sign the agreement, but this is a union decision not a labour movement decision," said Sizwe Pamla.
"We still have to discuss it with the other unions, and consolidate a mandate."
He was unsure what other unions had decided on.Nehawu would meet other unions in Midrand on Tuesday afternoon to get feedback on their resolutions.
"The likely outcome is that the offer on the table will be implemented."
Tuesday was the last day that unions had to decide whether to reject or accept the government's offer.
Pamla said that at this time of the year, it was unlikely that government would change their offer, and Nehawu was no longer prepared to strike.
"It's October and we are supposed to start negotiations for 2011. So, as much as we are not satisfied with the offer, we have to settle this issue because our members need to start getting their increase and backpay as the year is almost over."
Earlier on Tuesday, the Health And Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa (Hospersa) will not be signing the government's wage offer, the union said on Tuesday.
"Our members made sacrifices to go on strike and to fight for the right to a decent living, and this is the mandate they have given us," Hospersa general secretary Noel Desfontaines said in a statement.
Meanwhile Public Service Minister Richard Baloyi said he hoped to never see a repeat of this year's public service strike and that unions would sign an end to the strike.
"We are hopeful that the majority, if not all of the unions will sign their offer," Baloyi told representatives at an African Peer Review Mechanism workshop in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
"I am sure they are getting their pens ready."
He said it was critical to manage future negotiations so that such a strike was avoided.
"It affects all of us."