Johannesburg - Metrorail obtained a court interdict on Tuesday compelling striking employees to return to work, a company spokesperson said.
"We've obtained a court interdict basically forcing the train drivers who are on an illegal strike to return to work... and return to normal schedules," said Metrorail spokesperson Sibusiso Ngomane.
The SA Transport and Allied Workers' Union (Satawu) began a strike at Metrorail on Monday over a restructuring of the roster which they said would adversely affect employees.
Ngomane maintained this was not the case.
Some 196 Metrorail employees were fired on Sunday after refusing to report for duty in accordance with the new rosters.
Ngomane said earlier on Tuesday that Metrorail was committed to negotiations with the union and was scheduled to meet Satawu on Tuesday afternoon.
However, Satawu spokesperson Zenzo Mhlangu said union officials had already met Metrorail representatives and been served court papers.
"These guys [Metrorail] are going to court, their intention is to get an urgent interdict and somehow stop the strike. In simple terms negotiations are not taking place now," said Mhlangu.
Mhlangu said there was no further meeting scheduled on Tuesday.
"Not to my knowledge, no."
Satawu and Metrorail had already met on Monday, said Ngomane, with the company committing to give written warnings to the 196 fired workers "on a case-by-case" basis if they applied rather than termination.
According to Metrorail, services in Tshwane and Johannesburg had been affected with the latter operating at 80% capacity.
Mhlangu claimed that 65% of Metrorail's workforce, who were all Satawu members, had joined the strike.