Labour fund fraud case continues
Johannesburg - The trial of two people accused of defrauding the department of labour's compensation fund is set to continue on Monday in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court, the department said.
The two, Maxwell Ramaphosa, 36, and Samuel Mfeleng, 36, are former employees of the fund, and are accused of defrauding it to the tune of R2.1m.
They face 15 counts of fraud and 26 counts of money laundering, the department of labour said in a statement.
The two allegedly worked in collaboration with a Rustenburg physiotherapist, Jurry Sehunoe, by siphoning money into his account from the compensation fund.
"They allegedly processed fictitious claims made by Sehunoe and later shared the laundered money," the department said.
Sehunoe has already pleaded guilty in the Pretoria Specialised Crime Court last year.
He has been ordered to repay the department the R2.1m that had been stolen and is awaiting sentencing for further possible penalties, the department of labour said.
After Sehunoe's guilty plea, Ramaphosa and Samuel Mfeleng case was transferred to the Pretoria Magistrate's Court in a separation of trial.
Labour said the duo are also accused of being involved in two other fraud cases involving the department.
One case involves seven other former department employees and a doctor, in the defrauding of the Compensation Fund for about R1m.
The other case involves them and two others in a R500 000 fraud, also against the department.
The compensation fund is a public entity under the authority of the department of labour. The Fund provides a cushion for workers injured during work or diseases sustained or contracted at work.
*Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook,
Google+ and Pinterest.