• Caught in the debt trap?

    Help us help you by taking our second annual Debt survey and you could win R3 000.

  • Rich man, poor man

    Culture change from below is the only way to overcome poverty, says Leopold Scholtz.

  • Tech bubble talk

    After the tech euphoria of 2013, the fast-moving sector has hit a speed bump.

Data provided by McGregor BFA
All data is delayed
Loading...
See More

Horse-wary Britons spurn all meat

Feb 17 2013 18:43 AFP
meat

Europe has in the past few weeks been rocked by a scandal involving horsemeat falsely sold as beef. (AFP)

Related Articles

Meat scandal tentacles reach into SA

Horsemeat scandal: SA safe

Nestle: Horsemeat scandal affects us all

Horsemeat scandal spreads to Austria

France bans firm for selling horsemeat

Companies under scrutiny over horsemeat

 
London - A poll out on Sunday found that almost a third of adults in Britain have stopped eating ready meals as a result of the horsemeat scandal, while 7% have stopped eating meat altogether.

The ComRes survey, for the Sunday Mirror and The Independent on Sunday newspapers, found that 31% have given up eating ready-meals as the discovery of equine flesh in products labelled beef spreads across Europe.

The poll also found a 53% to 33% majority in favour of banning the import of all meat products "until we can be sure of their origin".

Some 44% agreed that the British government had responded well to the crisis, while 30% disagreed.

ComRes interviewed 2 002 adults online on Wednesday and Thursday.

Twenty-nine beef products out of 2 501 tested in Britain have been found to contain more than 1% horsemeat, its Food Standards Agency (FSA) said on Friday.

The scandal has left governments scrambling to figure out how and where the mislabelling happened in the sprawling chain of production spanning a maze of abattoirs and meat suppliers across Europe.

"We need to restore consumer confidence," said Britain's Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

"That is why we are working flat-out now with the European authorities, with other European countries and, of course, introducing things that we should now do on a more systematic debate like random testing."

Opposition Labour leader Ed Miliband said the governing coalition had been too slow to grasp the situation.

"The government needed to do three things," he told Sky News television.

"Offer clear guidance, including to schools and hospitals, about what they should be doing;

"Get the testing under way as quickly as possible and make sure the official testing is done, not as it is still planned to do by April, but much quicker;

"And thirdly, get the police involved and make sure there is a proper police investigation."

Mark Price, the chief executive of Waitrose, one of Britain's major supermarket chains, warned that in return for knowing that food is safe and genuine, it can no longer be seen as a "cheap commodity".

"If the question is, 'who can sell the cheapest stuff?', I'm afraid it is inevitable that there will be a slackening of product specifications," he wrote in The Sunday Telegraph newspaper.

"If something good comes of the current scandal I hope it is the opening up of a debate around the true economics of food and a determination on the part of everybody in the food industry to apply renewed rigour to their processes and testing regimes to ensure that customers can relax and enjoy the food they buy," he said.

Meanwhile FSA chief executive Catherine Brown conceded that the numbers of people who have unwittingly eaten horse will never be known.

Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.

meat scandal  |  horsemeat scandal
NEXT ON FIN24X

PPI quickens to 8.2%

49 minutes ago

 
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
7 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Company Snapshot

We're Talking About: Small Business

Standard Bank is looking for 12 entrepreneurs to participate in a 10-part TV series. They could win a R1m investment into their dream.
 
 

SAPS waited too long to complain about ad - DA

The DA has told a public hearing that the SA Police Service was "hopelessly out of time" to lodge a complaint against its election advert.

 
 

Latest elections multimedia

13 days to elections - news you need to know
11 Julius Malema quotes you'll never forget
DA won't get 30% - Zille
The EFF's ad was banned, see why

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...
Loading...