Loading...
See More

Farm strike ends, but not over

Jan 22 2013 16:45 Sapa
Protesting farmworkers

1 500 farmworkers are expected to start trickling back to work from Wednesday in De Doorns, the epicentre of strike action. (Picture: Supplied)

Related Articles

Farmworkers to return to work

Farmers must step up to end strike

Most farmworkers back on the job

Farmworker strike not over - union

Farmworkers' strike suspended - Cosatu

Body to discuss 'slave worker' farm pay

 
Cape Town - The Western Cape farmworkers' strike has been called off, a provincial Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu) official said on Tuesday.

"On the advice of workers, we are calling off the strike actions in all areas, so that workers can evaluate the victories that they have gained, and plan more carefully for the way forward," Western Cape secretary general Tony Ehrenreich said.

He said Cosatu would be coordinating "the mother of all strikes against bad farmers" later in the year, should no agreement be reached on a better daily wage, decent farm conditions and a comprehensive land reform plan.

Farmworkers went on strike last year, demanding that the minimum daily wage to be increased from R69 to R150. The strike was suspended in December, but resumed a few weeks ago in various towns in the province.

Cosatu suspended the strike a week ago on condition that farmers' organisation Agri SA agreed not to victimise workers and committed to "local-level" agreements.

At the time, the union federation said the strike would resume this week should these conditions not be met.

On Tuesday, Ehrenreich said while workers wanted to continue with the strike, they had to consider the impact on children who had no food at home.

"We are also mindful of the fact that these industries belong to the people of South Africa, and while we want to ruin bad farmers, we don't want to ruin our industries."

Cosatu claimed Agri SA repeatedly rejected its offer of "peace, friendship and a new industry plan".

"It is this short-sightedness from Agri SA that has seen a motion of no confidence in the president of Agri SA being considered."

Agri SA president Johannes Mller said anyone in his organisation was more than welcome pass a motion of no confidence in him.

"I might even, at the next round of meetings we have, consider asking the council of Agri SA to consider it," he told Sapa.

He said the employer body intended finding a way forward in agriculture, agreeing that R70 a day in wages was not enough.

The organisation was waiting for the pronouncement on the new minimum wage early in February, with effect from March 1.

In the meantime, it had contacted the International Labour Organisation to see if it could offer assistance through its decent work country programme.

Mller said he was cautiously optimistic at Cosatu's calling off of the strike, considering the damage to income from both sides.

"We are still getting conflicting reports on whether everybody is in agreement on whether the strike is off or not."

The Food and Allied Workers' Union (Fawu) announced on Tuesday that around 1 500 farmworkers were expected to start trickling back to work from Wednesday in De Doorns, the epicentre of strike action.

Asked if Fawu would extend the call to other towns, general secretary Katishi Masemola said this depended on the sentiments of workers.

"The problem was that we were having mixed messages and many voices speaking. This can create confusion. We have to meet with our members in these areas first."

The Building and Allied Workers' Union of SA said on Tuesday morning that the strike continued in De Doorns.

General secretary Nosey Pieterse said meetings would be held in De Doorns, Worcester, or Paarl on Tuesday evening.

Civil rights group AfriForum laid a public violence complaint against Pieterse at the Lyttelton police station in Centurion, Gauteng, on Tuesday morning.

AfriForum's Investigation unit head Nantes Kelder said they had found Pieterse was the central figure in the strike after visiting the affected areas at the end of last year.

"Pieterse still continues with the unprotected strike, knowing full well that it has become violent. According to AfriForum, he is therefore guilty of a criminal offence and he must take responsibility for his actions," Kelder said.

AfriForum encouraged farmers to bring claims for damages against Pieterse and Cosatu.

Pieterse was not immediately available to comment.

Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.

farmworker protests  |  wages
NEXT ON FIN24X

Giant federation mooted

56 minutes ago

 
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
18 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Company Snapshot

We're talking about:

Small Business

Retailers of any shape and size can now unlock the power of mobile transacting.
 

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...
Loading...