Johannesburg - The Constitutional Court would hear arguments
as to why it should overturn an interim interdict preventing e-tolling in Gauteng
from going ahead next week, Outa said on Friday.
"It's on Wednesday and Outa (Opposition to Urban
Tolling Alliance) is very prepared for the case," chairperson Wayne Duvenage
He said all the paperwork was done and the council was
prepared for the argument on Wednesday, August 15.
"We trust that the panel of judges will see the merit
of our case and keep the interdict in place until the full review has happened
in November," Duvenage said.
According to the interdict granted by the high court in
Pretoria on April 28, a full review first needed to be carried out before
electronic tolling of Gauteng's highways could be implemented.
The SA National Roads Agency Ltd (Sanral) and National
Treasury were appealing the order.
The Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa), which was
granted the interdict, would oppose it.
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan applied to the
Constitutional Court to set aside the court order preventing Sanral from
Gordhan argued that Judge Bill Prinsloo had ignored the
principle of the separation of powers. He said the decision to halt e-tolling
would negatively affect the economy.
In its reply, Outa said Sanral was still not ready to launch
On Monday, the Democratic Alliance said it had applied to
join the Constitutional Court case.
"As a political party, the DA has an interest in the
key issue in this case, namely the extent to which courts can and should
exercise their powers to interdict government," DA MP Jack Bloom said in
The party had asked to be admitted as a friend of the court
to make a "substantive contribution" to the case.
"Outa has not opposed our application, but Sanral and
the National Treasury have indicated their opposition," said Bloom.
"If government wins, then expect to see more decisions
like the e-tolls pushed through without proper consultation."
The high court in Pretoria would hear further arguments in
the e-toll case on November 26.
Under the project, motorists would pay over R0.35/km to
travel on some of Gauteng's major roads.
The project had been scheduled to start on April 30, but was
postponed after a meeting between the ANC and its alliance partner, the
Congress of SA Trade Unions.
*Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook and