• Inside Labour

    Brexit should send warning signals to worker organisations everywhere, says Terry Bell.

  • Racial redress

    The next adult generation is at risk of being polarised on the basis of skin colour, says Solly Moeng.

  • To do list

    Keep separate lists to ensure your to-dos don't get cluttered and gain stress-free productivity, Ian Mann.

All data is delayed
Loading...
See More

Commercial farms ensure SA food security

Aug 08 2012 12:13
Sapa
Johannesburg - Commercial farmers ensure greater food security in the country by producing more food than emerging or subsistence farmers, a study has found.

The study found commercial farms accounted for 95% of the country's locally-produced food, the SA Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR) said on Tuesday.

The remaining 5% was produced by the country's 220 000 emerging farmers and 1.3 million subsistence farmers.

SAIRR researcher Kerwin Lebone said South Africa's food security was heavily dependent on commercial farming.

"While emerging and subsistence farmers may feed their own families and some others, the above information demonstrates that national food security depends on commercial farming."

The study, which was based on information from Statistics SA, the Bureau for Food and Agricultural Policy, and a statement by Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel, found there were 94.5 million hectares (m ha) of agricultural land in South Africa.

Only 13.1m ha, or 14% of this land, was cultivated to grow crops. The remaining 81.3m ha, or 86% was used for grazing or other activities, such as mining.

A commercial agriculture census, published by Stats SA, showed the country's 47 500 commercial farmers planted all their crops on 4.6m ha.

This meant they used only 36% of cultivated agricultural land, and 5% of the total agricultural land available.

 
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
16 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.
 

Company Snapshot

We're talking about:

THE DEBT ISSUE

Debt is one of the biggest financial issues facing South Africans today. Find out how you can avoid and manage your debt with Fin24 and Debt Rescue.
 

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

Labour’s call for a cap on salary of high earners is?

Previous results · Suggest a vote

Loading...