Block fingered in new investigation
Johannesburg - Northern Cape finance MEC John Block has been implicated in a new Hawks investigation involving government buildings' security tenders worth R300m, the Sunday Times reported.
This is the latest tender scandal linked to Block, who is also the provincial chairperson of the ANC, after he was charged with fraud, corruption and money laundering last year for his alleged role in questionable hospital equipment tenders worth R112m.
At the time, Block also headed the party's deployment committee, which decides who holds influential provincial government positions, including those with authority to award tenders.
Provincial police spokesperson Cherelle Ehlers confirmed to the newspaper that the Hawks were investigating a case of fraud and corruption against Kimberley based Global Crown Security Services company.
Sunday Times also reported that Block was allegedly linked to the security company through a web of friends and associates, who all apparently received generous payments, described as "admin fees", "settlements" or "consultancy".
She said investigations were at a "very sensitive stage" and could therefore not divulge any further details.
Ehlers said no arrests had yet been made.
Block's lawyer, Dali Mjila, was quoted saying it was undesirable "for our client to respond to any averments if it is correct that this matter is under investigation".
Block is out on R100 000 bail for the fraud, corruption and laundering case.