Fin24

Acting director replaced at Pikitup

2012-10-01 12:52

Johannesburg - The acting director of Pikitup has been replaced with a permanent appointment, the SA Municipal Workers' Union (Samwu) said on Monday.

"Mr (Lawrence) Boya has been released of his duties as the acting managing director (MD) of Pikitup," the union's Gauteng organiser Menzi Luthuli said in a statement.

He welcomed the "brave decision" to not give Boya a permanent position.

"The decision not to appoint Mr Boya does not come as a surprise, given his track record in the Eastern Cape provincial government and his recent arrest, relating to alleged corruption and fraud, as reported widely in the media."

A court case is underway in which Boya, along with four others, has been charged with defrauding the Eastern Cape health department of about R11m.

Boya was a superintendent general in the provincial health department at the time the crime took place.

The City of Johannesburg said it was "absolutely untrue" that there was any scandal related to the release of Boya from his post.

"Mr Boya was acting in the position. Applications were put out and a suitable candidate was found," spokesperson Gabu Tugwana said.

He said the union was "taking chances" with its allegations.

Tugwana said the court action against Boya was "not an issue at all" during the appointment process.

"The city is not a justice department. That man had a case related to his employment in the Eastern Cape and that investigation is going on. It's a police matter. It has nothing to do with his activities in the City of Johannesburg," Tugwana said.

Amanda Nair had been appointed managing director of Pikitup, and took up her post on Monday.


*Follow Fin24 on TwitterFacebookGoogle+ and Pinterest.