Cape Town - A South African Airways flight to London was disrupted on Wednesday morning when crew found a note in one of the restrooms indicating there was a bomb on board.
SAA spokesperson Dileseng Koetle said the SAA emergency contingency plan for such incidents was activated. This included an onboard search by the crew.
“The situation was assessed and onboard procedures were followed to ensure that our customers, our crew and our aircraft were safe and secure. The incident was classified as a hoax and the flight continued safely to its destination.”
Koetle said executive members of the airline were in constant contact and in full communication with the commander of the aircraft during the event.
“After safely landing in Heathrow, the UK authorities also performed a thorough check and declared the aircraft safe. “
She said that SAA would like to reiterate that this bomb scare was a hoax and that the passengers, crew and aircraft had been in no danger.
No arrests were made.