Johannesburg - The situation at Kumba Iron Ore [JSE:KIO]
Sishen mine remained the same on Sunday where about 300 wildcat strikers staged a sit-in, the company said.
"Nothing much has changed since Saturday. At the moment we are not negotiating but we can't have them wondering around in the mine," spokesman Gert Schoeman said.
"It is all about safety. At the moment our priority is to normalise the situation and we need them to leave the mine. We also can't start blasting and drilling when they are moving about inside -- that is not safe."
He said the group of "less that 300" workers staging the sit-in moved around, but mainly based themselves at one mine dump.
Kumba suspended production at Sishen Mine on Thursday due to the strikers blocking access to the pit, creating an unsafe environment for mining operations.
On Thursday, the strikers presented their demand of a R15 000 monthly increase for all staff.
"They still only have that one demand," said Schoeman.
Earlier this week, Schoeman said Kumba concluded a two-year wage agreement with organised labour two months ago that made provision for a salary increase of between nine and 12 percent, which was well above the rate of inflation.
He said that even though the workers belonged to unions, namely Solidarity and the National Union of Mineworkers, they were representing themselves.
"We can't speak to 300 individuals -- so it took two days for them to choose their representatives," he said.
"The company has made ourselves available to talk to them at any time and hope negotiations can continue once they leave the mine."
Sishen Mine employs approximately 12 700 workers.
Fin24 on Twitter