Johannesburg - Striking workers at the Samancor Chrome Western mine,
near Rustenburg, are expected to return to work next week, their trade
union said on Monday.
"Samancor is not operating as we speak. Workers were
released and told to return to work on October 16," said National Union
of Mineworkers regional co-ordinator Mxhasi Sithethi.
"The employer decided a cool-off period was necessary
to avoid violence or injury to people in light of all the strikes at
On Monday, Samancor said that absent workers at the
Samancor Chrome Western mine were on annual leave and not on a legal or
"The company has, in agreement with its recognised
unions, taken the decision to send employees at its Western Chrome Mines
operation on annual leave as from October 3," it said in a statement.
"No Western Chrome Mines employee has been evicted from
any of the company's hostels... No Western Chrome Mines employee has
received a dismissal notice to date."
On September 28, a strike ended at Samancor Western Chrome mine for a settlement in monthly pay of R12 500.
Wage negotiations at the mine were finalised after workers demanded a salary increase on September 14.
On September 27 and 28, an illegal sit-in took place at Mooinooi shaft, the company said.
"This demonstration was initiated by individuals, not by one of the company's recognised unions," it said.
"Previously published articles in the media stating
that employees were on strike before the illegal sit-in, were factually
Samancor said it would continue to monitor the situation and engage with the recognised unions.
Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.