Johannesburg - The National Union of Mineworkers (Num) has come under fire over its concerns about the future of collective bargaining after the Lonmin pay settlement.
"It is... sickening that unions who claim to be revolutionary and claim to represent workers' interests are the ones who express unhappiness when workers make progress on their own," said a statement attributed to a group calling itself "Economic Freedom Fighters" on Thursday.
Floyd Shivambu, spokesperson for expelled ANC Youth League president Julius Malema
, was listed as a contact person on the statement.
The group also criticised Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu) general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi
for expressing caution over the outcome of the Lonmin strike.
Lonmin miners on Tuesday settled a wildcat strike that had begun on August 10 and left 46 people dead.
The agreement resulted in wage increases of up to 22%, a bonus and miners returning to work on Thursday morning.
Num general secretary Frans Baleni
warned that the agreement could create an expectation in the industry of similar increases as that achieved by Lonmin [JSE:LON]
"Out of the unprotected action which was accomplished by violence and intimidation, there was a concession that was made, which can be (come)... a copycat.
"People can say: 'They did it at Lonmin, so we can go the same route and not follow the normal bargaining process as per the Labour Relations Act'," Baleni said.
The statement issued on Thursday accused Num and Cosatu of "pouring cold water" on the agreement after showing a lack of leadership during the dispute.
"Workers will lead themselves, and do so far better than you think you have been doing," the statement read.
*Follow Fin24 on Twitter