Johannesburg - Some Lonmin [JSE:LON] workers have complained that they are not getting their full pay rise negotiated last year, United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa told the company on Monday.
"Mineworkers claim that they are still paid in accordance with the old salary agreement," Holomisa wrote in an open letter to Lonmin.
Lonmin miners reportedly negotiated a 22% pay rise last year after labour unrest which culminated in the shooting of 34 strikers in August.
Holomisa said: "Nearly four months since this agreement was reached, I am inundated with calls from the mineworkers complaining about the fact the 22% salary increase is yet to reflect on their payslips."
He said this did not bode well for future labour relations.
Comment from Lonmin could not be immediately obtained.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said mineworkers who were concerned about their payslips should seek advice.
They could ask a union shop steward or approach their human resources department, NUM spokesperson Lesiba Seshoka said.
When a similar issue over bonuses arose in December, Lonmin said the increases negotiated after the Marikana shooting ranged between 3% and 11%.
At the time, there was an issue with some people not being paid a bonus for signing the agreement which ended the strike.
This was apparently because some had not clocked in when they had been expected to do so.
Seshoka said on Monday the increase paid depended on the type of job a worker did, and also what increase was negotiated for them in June, before the strike.
The June increase and the post-Marikana figures needed to be added together depending on the individual worker's job.
"The biggest confusion has been created by the media," said Seshoka.
"When this agreement was reached, they [the media] jumped to '22%'".
The NUM had heard of only isolated cases where workers had not been paid, Seshoka said.