Johannesburg - Lonmin [JSE:LON] has offered striking workers
a R900 increase to R5 500 a month for entry-level workers, "very far"
from their demand of R12 500, National Union of Mineworkers general secretary
Frans Baleni said on Friday.
"Lonmin is offering to adjust the rate of entry-level
(workers) from R4 600 towards R5 500, an increase of about R900. Then all
operators will be upgraded, by one grade up," Baleni told the BBC World
Service radio Newsday programme.
Baleni said this was far from the worker's demand of R12 500
and he was unsure how they would respond to the company's proposal.
"It's very far," he said.
"We will hear how workers are responding to the offer,
given that negotiation is give and take."
Baleni said he was unsure of how rival union, Association of
Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu), would respond.
"It will depend if they are really pragmatic and
willing to look at the interests of those workers, as well as the interests of
our economy. We hope every player in these negotiations will take that into
account," Baleni told the BBC.
Workers at the Lonmin mine have been on an illegal strike
for four weeks, demanding a salary of R12 500.
Last month, the protest turned violent and police shot dead
34 protesters and injured 78. A total of 45 people have been killed in
incidents related to the strike.
Baleni said he was worried about job losses in the platinum
sector and said 4 800 jobs had already been lost due to illegal strikes.
He was also worried about violence and intimidation during
these labour disputes.
Baleni said the labour unrest spreading throughout mines in
the North West was being orchestrated for political reasons.
"Clearly this is a co-ordinated and orchestrated approach,
and we have a firm belief that it has political undertones. Certain people are
using mineworkers to advance their political goals," Baleni said.
* Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.