Fin24

All but one dead miner from SA - Chabane

2012-08-21 17:14

Rustenburg - All 34 Lonmin mineworkers killed in a clash with police have been identified, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane said on Tuesday.

"All the bodies have been identified. One is a foreign national," he said.

He said efforts had been made to contact the Lesotho national's family with regards to his burial.

Last week, the platinum mining company's rock drill operators in Marikana embarked on a protest that saw 10 people, including two security guards and two police officers, killed.

The protests culminated in clashes with the police on Thursday, in which 34 miners were shot dead, more than 70 injured and 260 arrested.

Chabane said the ministerial committee had met religious organisations and traditional organisations in a bid to bring the situation in Wonderkop to normal.

"We have met all stakeholders and there is progress."

The protests were believed to be linked to rivalry between the National Union of Mineworkers and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union over recognition agreements at the mine.

Workers also wanted higher pay.

* Follow Fin24 on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.


Comments
  • steven.pieters.1276 - 2012-08-22 08:40

    Very poor article as it does not relate to the headline .... suggest writer of article goes back to journo school or very least ask for his money back ....very poorly written.

  • pages:
  • 1