• Wealth and poverty

    True riches would be to create a safe and satisfied community for all South Africans.

  • SABC shenanigans

    SA has already embarked on a slippery slope to autocracy, warns Terry Bell in Inside Labour.

  • Zim tastes people power

    Protests in Zimbabwe are forcing Mugabe to face anti-government sentiment, says Memory Mataranyika.

All data is delayed
See More

Foster's lashed for SAB deal

Oct 25 2011 09:02

Company Data


Last traded 834
Change 4
% Change 0
Cumulative volume 2100954
Market cap 0

Last Updated: 25-07-2016 at 05:00. Prices are delayed by 15 minutes. Source: McGregor BFA

Related Articles

Bosses defend iconic Foster's sale

SABMiller buys Foster's in $10.2bn deal

SABMiller seeks Foster’s accounts review

Wounded Foster's fights back

SABMiller sticks to its guns on Foster's

Foster's sale clears Australian hurdle

Melbourne - Foster's Group, Australia's largest brewer, said it expects beer sales to pick up again when the economy improves, fuelling small shareholder anger at the company's capitulation to a $10.4bn takeover by global giant SABMiller [JSE:SAB].

Foster's executives were forced to defend the takeover before around 200 shareholders at what is likely to be the brewer's last annual meeting, saying the deal offered the certainty of cash in a volatile global environment.

"You are now presenting us with a bright future for Foster's and you are turning around and getting rid of this company. It is disgraceful of the board," said one small shareholder, Douglas Fleming, to widespread applause.

Another shareholder's question was inaudible as she broke down in tears.

In September, Foster's agreed to accept a sweetened A$9.9bn offer after an acrimonious three-month battle by SABMiller to win over management. The $5.10-per-share offer was a $0.20-per-share increase on a previous bid.

The takeover, which requires approval of 75% of votes at a meeting due in early December, has wide support from institutional investors.

Foster's, the maker of Victoria Bitter, Carlton Draught and Pure Blonde, will also undertake a 30 cents-a-share capital return and pay a final dividend of 13.25c under the deal.

Foster's shares traded flat at $5.31 on Tuesday.

The company has been struggling with declining volumes as demand for traditional beers falls, and its market share has fallen to 50% from 55%. But it said there has been some improvement in consumer confidence in recent months.

Chief executive John Pollaers told shareholders the company was planning a "massive" marketing campaign over the next few months to help arrest the slide in volumes.

"We believe that once Australia moves through this period of economic uncertainty, the beer category will return to the long-term trend of moderate growth," Pollaers said.

After SABMiller, the London-based brewer of Peroni, Miller Lite and Grolsch, takes control of Foster's, about 90% of Australian brewing will be in offshore hands. The remaining 10% is mainly with small craft breweries.

Wine cousin fares better

Faring better in recent sales is Treasury Wine Estates, the wine business of Foster's that was spun off in May, thereby paving the way for a takeover of the beer group.

Treasury, the world's second-largest bottled wine maker after Constellation Brands, has seen its share price gain 21% since listing in May, while the broader Australian market .AXJO has fallen 10%.

Its brands include Beringer, Penfolds and Rosemount.

Executives told Treasury's first shareholders' meeting the wine category continues to perform well in Australia and New Zealand, and wine demand was growing in the United States and Europe where the company generates about 70% of sales.

"In the US and our key markets within Europe the consumer environment remains subdued, yet within these markets the wine category has remained relatively resilient," CEO David Dearie said.

But he cautioned the outlook in both markets was still uncertain and could deteriorate.

Treasury shares were down 2.6% at A$3.80.
foster's  |  sabmiller  |  wine


Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Company Snapshot

We're talking about:


Saving can make a lot of things possible, but we all know how hard it is to save. This special Savings Issue will help you get focused.

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

Sarb's decision to keep the repo rate unchanged is:

Previous results · Suggest a vote