Cape Town – And then there was one: Suzanne Vos, one of two remaining SABC board members, has told
MPs she intends to resign as well.
Vos delivered a short statement at a meeting of the portfolio committee on communications, which is currently deciding on the future of the SABC board.
Only Vos and Claire McNeil remain on the board, and it is understood that McNeil is currently outside the country.
Vos laid into Minister of Communications Dina Pule and the departed board chairperson, Dr Ben Ngubane.
She said the board always acted in best interest of the institution, but simply came to a point where it could no longer function effectively.
“We no longer have the support of the minister and shareholder. As an SOE (state-owned enterprise) it’s imperative to enjoy ongoing trust and cooperation from the shareholder. It appears the minister does not trust the board.
"She has made herself clear in statements that this committee must recommend the dissolution of the SABC board. On Sunday the minister told (eNCA TV presenter) Justice Malala she wanted the committee to get rid of us.”
Vos also aimed some barbs at Ngubane.
“Time and again, Dr Ben Ngubane acted illegally. He was acting as an executive chairman, not a non-executive. For too long the board covered up his quixotic behaviour.”
Vos said Ngubane allegedly illegally appointed Phil Molefe as news and current affairs boss. He also allegedly interfered with a board decision to remove Hlaudi Motsoeneng as acting chief operating officer.
She said the board members had already met with the public protector on the issue.
“The deputy chair and the chair also both resigned together, knowing full well they would destroy the board.”
ANC MPs reminded Vos that the board is ultimately responsible for the SABC.
“It should also be remembered these are the views being expressed by one board member and not the view of the board,” said ANC MP Greg Schneeman.
*Follow James-Brent Styan on Twitter at @jamesstyan.
Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.