Johannesburg - Over 96% of cellphone users in South Africa met the deadline for Rica, according to figures given by major cellphone companies on Friday.
Cell C said that close to 97% of its customer base registered before midnight on Thursday.
Vodacom Group [JSE:VOD]
said that its figure was about 96%, based on official subscriber numbers in March. Just under a million Vodacom customers were disconnected on Friday after failing to meet the Rica deadline, the service provider said.
8ta had Rica'd all of its customers by Wednesday
MTN Group [JSE:MTN]
declined to mention an exact percentage. At a Rica briefing by the communications department on Wednesday, it was announced that 98% of MTN sim cards were registered for contract customers and 96% for prepaid users.
"We don't want to comment on our percentages but we will say we are quite impressed at the turnout of our subscribers and those who have been disconnected can come back to the Ayoba," spokesperson Bridget Bhengu said.
"It might take a bit longer than normal but you will be back on the network within two to 24 hours."
Cell C CEO Lars Reichelt said that the network was also welcoming back those who had been disconnected.
"Customers have a grace period of 120 days from the deadline date to reactivate their cut-off lines or face the possibility of losing their numbers."
Vodacom customers who had been cut off could visit their local store or one of over 170 000 Rica agents across the country.