Loading...
See More

France bans firm for selling horsemeat

Feb 14 2013 20:57 AFP

Related Articles

Horsemeat scandal: SA safe

Companies under scrutiny over horsemeat

EU set to meet on horsemeat scandal

French retailers act on horsemeat scandal

Meat processor recalls 10m burgers in UK

Nestle: Horsemeat scandal affects us all

 

Paris - The French government on Thursday said the French firm Spanghero knowingly sold around 750 tonnes of horsemeat as beef and that it was suspending the licence that allowed it to handle meat.

Consumer Affairs Minister Benoit Hamon said the "fraud" had gone on for months and that 550 tonnes of the falsely labelled meat were sent to French firm Comigel, which makes frozen food at its Tavola factory in Luxembourg.

Hamon said Spanghero would be prosecuted.

He told reporters that Comigel, which supplied millions of ready-to-eat meals to supermarkets across Europe which have now removed them from their shelves, had been deceived by Spanghero.

But the minister, who was briefing the press on a French government inquiry into the horsemeat scandal engulfing Europe, said that Comigel had failed to carry out tests that would have alerted it to the scam.

Agriculture Minister Stephane Le Foll said Spanghero's licence was being suspended while experts carried out tests on products at its plant in the southwestern town of Castelnaudary.

Le Foll said veterinarians would from Friday inspect Spanghero's premises and that the government would decide on whether or not to definitively withdraw the licence once the results of those inspections came in next week.

Spanghero on Thursday again denied any wrongdoing, saying in a statement that it had never ordered, received or resold any meat that it did not believe to be beef.

The firm noted that it had already announced that it was taking a lawsuit against persons unknown for fraud over the horsemeat scandal.

Le Foll also said that authorities had located and would destroy three horse carcasses that tested positive for an equine drug that is potentially harmful to humans and which arrived in France from Britian.

He said that the carcasses were "another affair" that had nothing to do with the wider horsemeat scandal.

British Agriculture Minister David Heath said earlier on Tuesday that horse carcasses that tested positive for phenylbutazone, which can cause a serious blood disorder in humans in rare cases, had been sent from Britain to France and may have entered the food chain there.


Follow Fin24 on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.

france  |  horsemeat scandal
NEXT ON FIN24X

 

Lastest Articles

Here is how to check your credit score and manage it Read More...
Top tips to save money over the festive period Read More...
These are the top 5 most fuel efficient cars in SA Read More...
What to consider when switching medical aid schemes Read More...
 
 

Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Company Snapshot

Brought to you by BizNews

More from BizNews

We're talking about:

Small Business

Retailers of any shape and size can now unlock the power of mobile transacting.
 

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...
Loading...