Fin24

Rea Vaya bus drivers back at work

2010-06-15 07:46

Johannesburg - Rea Vaya bus drivers will go back to work on Tuesday after an illegal strike which left hundreds of fans stranded at Soccer City, Johannesburg on Monday, the company said.

"After a lengthy meeting... an agreement was reached which will see a return to work of drivers of both the ordinary commuter service and the 2010 event services this morning," said Clidet CEO Jackie Huntley in a statement.

Clidet is the company which manages Rea Vaya.

Huntley said the meeting was between the company management and the SA Municipal Workers Union, representing bus drivers.

"Issues that led to the workers embarking on an illegal work stoppage related to the view of the workers' representatives that
there had been a unilateral change in their conditions of employment and how shifts and overtime would be calculated during the 2010 FIFA World Cup".

Huntley said an agreement was reached on how shifts, overtime and allowances would be paid during the Soccer World Cup period.

About 500 to 800 spectators (for the Denmark versus Netherlands match) were requested to use Metrorail free of charge back from the stadium to Westgate Transport Hub, after which the City of Joburg arranged for 10 Metrobuses to take them to their original destination.

"I apologise to commuters and spectators for any confusion and inconvenience that was caused yesterday [Monday]," Huntley said.

"We are hoping that the rest of the Soccer World Cup period will run smoothly and that we are able to transport thousands of fans to Ellis Park and Soccer City to watch their teams in action."

 - Sapa