See More

Police break up SWC wage protest

Jun 14 2010 10:43

Related Articles

Govt workers won't strike during Cup

Beware World Cup scams

Gautrain hit by delays


Durban - Armed riot police charged into hundreds of security stewards at a 2010 FIFA World Cup stadium, using tear gas and firing rubber bullets to break up a protest over low wages just hours after Sunday's match between Germany and Australia.

Police appeared to set off two percussive grenades, causing loud bangs, to drive the workers out of a parking lot under the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban after Germany's 4-0 win in Group D.

Associated Press reporters saw about 30 riot police charge into the crowd to drive it out of the stadium.

While calm quickly returned to the stadium, some of the security stewards, wearing orange and green jackets, continued milling around outside.

An AP photographer said police fired tear gas at protesters outside the stadium. A nearby street was littered with trash where the protesters were forced away.

Concrete blocks had been pushed into a street. About 100 police later surrounded a group of about 300 protesters on a street near the stadium and separated the men from the women.

The protesters later left peacefully after discussions with police.

Lt Colonel Leon Engelbrecht, a police spokesperson assigned to the World Cup, confirmed that tear gas was used to help end the lengthy protest, but nobody was seriously injured.

A woman was hit by a rubber bullet but not badly hurt, he said.

Engelbrecht said the protest arose from a dispute between stadium workers and the security contractor over pay, and that disgruntled workers tried to stay in the venue after the match.

"It's a concern that the security company didn't have this settled before the tournament," Engelbrecht said.

"Dialogue will continue to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen again. It's fortunate it was well after the game."

Rich Mkhondo, head of communications for the local World Cup organising committee, said the protest did not have any impact on security at the match or any spectators.

'Two hours after the end of the first match at the Durban stadium last night, there was an internal pay dispute between the principal security company employed by the organising committee and some of the static security stewards employed by the company at the match," Mkhondo said in a statement e-mailed to  AP.

"Police were called on to disperse the protesting stewards. This happened, however, long after all spectators had left the stadium after the match and the incident had no impact whatsoever on the match day security operations.

"The organising committee will engage with its stadium security provider to avoid a repeat of the situation during the course of the tournament."

A FIFA spokesperson had no immediate comment.

Protesters said they gathered at the venue to complain about their wages, claiming they'd been paid a fraction of what they were promised.

"We left our homes at seven in the morning and now it is nearly 1 o'clock (a.m.)," Vincent Mkize said.

Before the tournament, "In the dry run, they didn't want to tell us how much we would get."

Another of the stewards, Fanak Falakhebuengu, told AP he had heard they would be paid R1 500 a day but they were only
getting R190.

"They were supposed to give us R1 500, that's what FIFA told us, and they gave us R190. We are working from 12 o'clock until now," said another man who asked not to be named.

He ran from police before he could give his name. Many of the protesters were waving small brown envelopes that had held their pay.

One handed to a reporter had the figure 190 written on it under amount payable. Others said they had been abandoned at the stadium after the match and would have to walk about four hours to get home.

They said no transport was provided for them.

 - Sapa

fifa 2010 world cup



Read Fin24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Company Snapshot

Money Clinic

Money Clinic
Do you have a question about your finances? We'll get an expert opinion.
Click here...

Voting Booth

Government’s decision to withhold payment to municipalities in debt to Eskom is:

Previous results · Suggest a vote